My grandma used to make a sweet potato casserole like this one. In fact, this is one recipe she sent me when I was down in Walt Disney World in my College Program.
Then when I married Hubby, his dad would make this sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving.
As you can see, this casserole has a lot of memories attached to it. So when it was time to think about what I would make for Thanksgiving, I knew I needed to find a crockpot recipe similar to the casseroles my grandma and father-in-law would make.
This one is one that I’m going to serve for Thanksgiving. Speaking of Thanksgiving, this is the first year we will host the Thanksgiving dinner. Last year I did most of the cooking, but we had it over at my mother-in-law’s house. This year it is going to be at our house. Argh! The problem is we keep inviting people to our little house. So far we are up to either 11 or 12 if everyone comes. That may not seem like much, but if we get any more, we will have to relocate to my mother-in-law’s since she has a little more room.
Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole
Adapted from Recipes that Crock
Stars of the recipe:
- 2 (40 oz) cans of sweet potatoes, drained
- 1/3 c. plus 2 Tbsp. butter, melted and divided
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/3 c. plus 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, packed and divided
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 eggs, beaten (Poke the yolks first – It’s easier to beat it after you poke the yolks.)
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/3 c. chopped pecans
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- Spray your crock with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mash the sweet potatoes.
- Add 1/3 c. melted butter, 2 Tbsp. Sugar, and 2 Tbsp. Brown sugar. Mix until well combined.
- Add orange juice, eggs, and milk. Beat until combined.
- Place the sweet potato mixture in the crock.
- In the bowl you used, combine the 2 Tbsp. Melted butter, 1/3 c. brown sugar, 1/3 c. chopped pecans, and all-purpose flour.
- Spread the pecan mixture over the sweet potato mixture.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.
I used a crockpot casserole dish for this recipe.
3 thoughts on “Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole – Countdown to Thanksgiving”