My family usually prefers the blue box for macaroni and cheese so it’s hard to find a homemade macaroni and cheese that they would love. This is one macaroni and cheese recipe that they enjoyed eating.
This recipe makes a LOT of macaroni and cheese. I made this dish on a Saturday night. We ate it as a side dish for three different meals.
I’m planning to make this for a Thanksgiving side. My plan is to make it on Wednesday and then put it in a pan. Then I will refrigerate it overnight. On Thanksgiving, I will pull the pan out of the fridge and then into the oven to warm up. I hope that makes sense.
Creamy Mac and Cheese
adapted from Funny is Family
Stars of the recipe:
- 2 c. dry elbow macaroni
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 ½ c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 oz.) can of condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 c. milk
- ½ c. sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Spray the crock with cooking spray so the macaroni and cheese won’t stick.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package. Drain and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the butter and cheese. Cook on high until both are melted.
- Add the cheddar cheese soup, milk, sour cream or Greek yogurt, salt, black pepper, and mustard to the butter and cheese mixture.
- Add to the drained macaroni to the mixture.
- Spread in the crock.
- Cook for 2 hours. Stir.