The medicine I was given yesterday really has helped me feel better. Plus the 11 hours of sleep I got last night has really helped me. I’m still not at 100% but I’m at least at 70%. Much better than I was feeling 3 days ago.
My father-in-law had diabetes and blood pressure issues. For a few years at Christmas time, I would buy him treats he could enjoy. These treats contained low sugar and low sodium. He also couldn’t swallow almonds all that well and I would buy him lots of almonds. He kindly told me not to any more. Plus he hated coconut. So what did I get him? I would go to Trader’s Joe and get him various nuts but not almonds with no salt, pumpkin butter, and Larabars.
I thought Larabars looked interesting but did not try them for the longest time because I didn’t know what the dates would taste like. I know, I know I’m such a chicken. Then when I did I was hooked. They are so good.
This Christmas I had planned to make him some homemade ones. In fact, I bought the dates the Friday before his death. It took a month or so after his death to make the homemade ones for myself. I ended up making coconut cream ones which I know he would have hated.
Let me tell you, they are delicious!!!!! I would take one of those and a cheese stick and would be set for breakfast. Yummo!
(Sorry I don’t have a picture of one. I forgot to take one but will post one as soon as I make another batch.)
Coconut Cream Homemade Lara Bars
Stars of the recipe:
- 15 Medjool dates or 20 dates (pitted)
- 1/2 c. almonds
- 1/2 c. cashews
- 3/4 c. unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Mix the almonds, coconut, cashews in the food processor until fine. (Turn it off and on so you don’t blow the motor.)
- Add dates, oil, and water. Pulse until a dough begins to form.
- Line an 8 by 8 pan with either parchment paper or foil. Make sure there is extra on the sides, so you can lift the paper or foil and bars.
- Press the dough down so it’s packed down.
- Place in the fridge for an hour or so.
- When it’s set up, lift it out of the pan. Slice into bars.
- Enjoy! (It will last in the fridge for about 2 weeks.)
6 thoughts on “Coconut Cream Homemade Lara Bars”
These look delicious! I can’t wait to try them.