On the days I have a recipe that I’ve tried previously, I’m going to share a story or another letter to my sister.
I don’t know if you know how much I do miss you. There is one song that I listen to that has lyrics that reminds me of you. I listen to the song and then just cry.
The lyrics that remind me of you are:
“I need a family to drive me crazy.”
“We’ll have tiny boxes for memories.
Open them up and we’ll set them free.”
“But I’ll keep your secrets, if you keep mine.”
“You are the memory that won’t ever lapse
When twenty five years have suddenly passed.”
“Take my picture and the you laugh
Cause I hate the way I look in photographs.”
“Keep the memories, but don’t live in the past.”
“You are the sun in the desolate sky.”
I just discovered the song right before you died and it speaks so much to me and how I feel about you. I know how much you hated me taking photographs of you. Those photos are now precious in my eyes. I see laughter and joy in your face in many of them I wish you knew how blessed of a life you had Tanya.
Right before you died, we got a Quaker Parrot. His name is Password. Todd named him so that is why he has that name. Anyway, he was hatched on Will’s birthday. This week he decided to start talking. Instead of screeching, he’ll start to say beak bump. So funny!
Give everyone a hug for me.
I love you!
Love your annoying sister,
Menu Plan Monday – Week of October 3, 2016
I’m going to follow the A Week of Meals – Slow Cooker Version this week.
Crock pot Chicken, Black Eyed Peas, Rice, Pumpkin Pie
Sweet and Sour Chicken, Rice
Taco topped baked potatoes, Raw Veggies
Monterrey Chicken Quesadillas, Left Over Veggies
Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Sandwich
You are on your own
Now onto the recipe for the day – The Wee One loved this granola. He couldn’t stop eating it when I made it for him. In fact, he asked me to make it for him when he joins Boys Scouts and goes on a backpacking trip. He’s planning ahead.
I didn’t know that you could make granola in the slow cooker. When you don’t want to warm the oven, this is a good option. Warning though – It does take a while for it to get done. But if you have a lazy day where you are not going anywhere, this would be a great recipe.
I apologize because I’ve gone through all of my files and cannot find the picture I took of the slow cooker granola.
Slow Cooker Granola
Stars of the recipe:
- 5 c. old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ c. slivered almonds
- ½ c. shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ⅔ c. honey
- ⅓ c. coconut oil or butter
- ½ c. peanut butter
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1 c. craisins
- Grease the slow cooker crock.
- Add the oats, almonds, coconut, and salt.
- In a large microwave safe measuring bowl, combine the honey, coconut oil or butter, peanut butter, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Microwave for a minute. Stir. Microwave for 30 more seconds if necessary in order to make sure the ingredients are melted.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the oats. Stir to make sure all ingredients are coated.
- Place the lid on the crockpot, leaving it slightly vented.
- Cook on high for 2 hours. Stir the granola every 30 minutes to assure it doesn’t burn.
- After 2 hours, spread the granola on a large baking sheet. Add the craisins. Then let it cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
Adapted from Barefeet in the kitchen
Printable Recipe Card