This DOES NOT have pineapple or ham in it because that is not what makes it Hawaiian. When I looked for a different type of macaroni salad, I found this recipe for Hawaiian macaroni salad.
According to the blog, I got the original recipe from the macaroni salad is part of the Hawaiian plate lunch.
The original recipe called from 2 cup of mayo and 2 cup of milk. I personally found that 1 cup of mayo and 1 1/2 cups of milk was enough for me.
We had this salad with pulled pork sandwiches and corn on the cob. Yum!
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
adapted from I Believe I Can Fry
Stars of the recipe:
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
- 1 c. milk
- 1 c. mayo
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- salt and pepper
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil. Add 1 Tbsp. salt and the macaroni; cook until very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and return to the pot; add the cider vinegar and toss until absorbed. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1-1/2 c. of milk, 1 c. of mayo, the brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 2 tsp. pepper.
- After 10 minutes, fold in the dressing with the carrots, celery, and green onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the fridge for at least an hour.
One thought on “Hawaiian Macaroni Salad”