Last week, I mentioned that I have xanthan gum in my gluten free pantry. I use the xanthan gum to make this bread.
It is soft and delicious.
Soft Gluten Free Bread
– 1 & ½ c. water or milk
– 3 to 4 Tbsp. honey or sugar (I use honey.)
– 2 ½ tsp. Dry active yeast
– 3 c. gluten free flour mix
– 1 & ½ tsp. Xanthan gum
– 4 tsp. Baking powder
– 1 tsp. Salt
– optional: Mix in your desired sweet or savory flavors (cinnamon or garlic powder)
– 2 tsp. Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
– ¼ c. olive oil
– 2 lrg eggs
- In a measuring cup, measure milk. Place milk in microwave. Warm on ½ power for 1 to 2 minutes or until warm to touch. Stir in the honey. Then sprinkle on yeast. Set aside to allow to proof for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the gluten free flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and the sweet or savory flavors. (Dry ingredients)
- Combine the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and eggs in a stand mixer bowl. Using the paddle attachment, mix of a minute.
- Add the proofed yeast mix to the ingredients in the stand mixer bowl. Mix for a minute.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat on medium-high for 3 minutes. Dough will be wet, sticky, and thick.
- Oil and flour a 9 by 5 loaf pan.
- Using a spatula sprayed with cooking spray, scrape the bread mixture in the loaf pan. Smooth out the loaf with the spatula.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the bread mixture on top of the oven. Do NOT over proof your bread. Let it rise for about 20 – 30 minutes. Don’t allow it to rise above your loaf pan. Otherwise it will either flow over the pan or collapse.
- Bake for about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Once you pull the bread out of the oven, do NOT leave the loaf to sit in the pan to rest. Within one or two minutes, gently turn it out onto its side onto your cooling rack.
- Allow it to cool completely before cutting into slices. Use a serrated bread knife.
- Enjoy with your favorite toppings!