Today I’m going to share two gluten free breakfast ideas on this blog and then two more on My Food Journey for a total of four ideas.
Since going gluten free, it’s difficult for me to find breakfast foods that are gluten free even though some hotels offer free breakfast. Typically those free breakfasts have waffles, cereals, and pastries with limited amounts of fruit. Sometimes there is yogurt provided also.
I’m primarily gluten free and dairy free/ lactose free so that makes it more difficult. (I do eat some dairy.)
All of these are for road trips not when you fly unless you pack some of the breakfast items in your suitcase and check it in.
Breakfast #1 is overnight oats.
- Mason Jar
- 1/2 c. Gluten free oats (rolled oats)
- 1 c. Milk of your choice (almond, cashew, soy, or coconut)
- 2 tsp. Seeds or nuts
- 1 tsp. cinnamon or other spices (vanilla powder, cardamon, or even nutmeg)
- 1 to 2 tsp. sweetener (honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar)
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/4 c. freeze dried fruit or dried fruit
- Place all of the items in the mason jar.
- Stir up or shake the jar once you put the lid on the mason jar.
- Place in the fridge in your room or a cooler that has ice in it overnight.
- The next day take the jar out of the fridge or cooler.
- Enjoy cold or allow to come up to room temperature.
I use freeze dried blueberries or peaches and almond slices in my oatmeal.
I buy small containers of almond milk for the breakfasts.
I also add some unsweetened applesauce in my overnight oatmeal.
Breakfast #2 is hard boiled eggs.
Before you leave for your road trip, boil some eggs. Make sure to store them in a cooler with ice. Eat the eggs with some of the fruit from the free breakfast. If you are not dairy free, also eat some yogurt for a more balance breakfast.
You can also find already cooked boiled eggs at places like Trader Joes and sometimes gas stations.
Here are two ways I boil eggs in my house:
When you are ready to eat the hard boiled eggs, place the egg in a mason jar with water. Place the lid back on the mason jar. Shake for about 30 seconds to a minute. The shell will come off easily.
Please go to my other blog – My Food Journey for two more road trip hotel breakfasts.