This is our last week of school. Last year and this year, teachers created classes called “Skinnies.” These classes have a smaller class size than the typical class size. Plus the topics of these classes are of topics the students enjoy learning about. Four of us signed up for teaching cooking. My class is about quick and easy snacks. Basically they come into my room and eat food. What a concept.
The first class was last Monday. We made savory snack mixes out of white cheddar popcorn, Cheese Nips, Cheddar Whales, cheese balls, pretzels, and tortilla chips. They got to decided what they wanted in their snack mix. We also made the S’Mores Snack Mix. I did not take any picture during that Skinny.
The second class was on Wednesday. We had yogurt parfaits with vanilla yogurt, granola, blueberries, and a variety of toppings. It surprised me that a lot of the students wanted the freeze dried apples and freeze dried strawberries on their parfait. We also made air popped popcorn to eat.
Today is our last Skinny. We are going to have fruit and veggies with a variety of dips – peanut butter yogurt dip, ranch, and caramel dip. We are going to make three of the dips before enjoying the veggies and fruit.
Here is the basic granola I made for Skinny Class.
Stars of the recipe:
- 3/4 c. to 1 c. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. oil (I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil.)
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 7 to 8 c. rolled or quick oats
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the brown sugar, oil, water, and cinnamon in microwavable bowl.
- Microwave until boiling. (Mine took 2.5 minutes.)
- Place the oats in a large bowl and carefully pour the brown sugar mixture over the oats.
- Stir until combined.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet in a single layer. (I needed 2 cookie sheets.)
- Bake for 5 minutes. Flip the granola.
- Bake for another 5 minutes.
- After removing from the oven, allow the granola to cool.
- Enjoy with your favorite mix-ins (toppings).