The Imaginative One hates zucchini so much when I asked him to pick one up at the local farmer’s market, he refused to even touch. He also refused to taste this cake because he had a feeling I put zucchini in it. He forgot there was a possibility later on in the week and ended up trying it. He still didn’t like.
Don’t let his dislike of the cake and zucchini discourage you from trying this delicious cake. He is such a fussy eater.
I really enjoyed this cake. In fact I took pieces of it as a lunchtime treat. It is so yummy!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake
Stars of the recipe:
- 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1/6 c. oil (I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 c. buttermilk (I used 1/2 c. milk + 1 Tbsp. vinegar)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cloves (Instead of cinnamon and cloves, I used Chinese 5 spice.)
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 – 1/3 c. white whole wheat flour
- 4 Tbsp. cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2 C. shredded zucchini (I patted it dry with a paper towel to remove some of the liquid.)
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- Cream together, applesauce, oil, and sugars. (If you don’t have buttermilk, make the milk and vinegar mixture. Allow it to curdle.)
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the eggs and sour milk or buttermilk to the sugar applesauce mixture.
- Then gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ones. Stir to combine.
- Add the zucchini. And then stir it until incorporated.
- Pour into a greased 9 by 13 pan and then sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the cake.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.