I lived with my grandparents, mom, and sister as a teenager. On most nights, we would sit down as a family for dinner. One of the meals, my grandma would prepare is green beans, potatoes, and ham in the crockpot.
I can still see the kitchen and her round crockpot full of the green beans, potatoes, and ham. We would either have it with bread and butter or a simple salad.
Whenever I cook something from my childhood, I try to tell my boys about it. The Imaginative One was five when my grandma died. During the last year of her life, they became so close. This is a way for him to have memories of her.
When I made this, the potatoes were at the bottom of the crock. So when Hubby looked into the crock all he saw was green beans and 1 piece of ham. He was nervous about what we were having. Once he saw the potatoes, he was relieved. He enjoyed the meal.
Green beans, potatoes, and ham
Stars of the recipe:
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, ends snipped off and snapped in half or 2 cans green beans drained
- 1 lb. baby red potatoes, quartered or halved, depending on size
- 1 sm. onion, chopped
- 1 lb. chopped ham
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes, unwrapped
- Seasoned salt, to taste
- Place potatoes, onions, green beans, onions, ham, seasoned salt, and bouillon cubes in crockpot. (I use a 4 quart crockpot.)
- Place enough water in the crockpot to cover the food.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.