I’ve been making this soup for the past few years. I saw Rachael Ray cooking it up on her cooking show and decided I wanted to try it. During the Lent season, I’ve made it to share with the members of my former church when we’ve had soup Wednesdays. They always loved it. In fact, during this past Lent season, I sent home leftovers with a couple people.
The thing I love about this soup is that instead of regular egg noodles, you use orzo pasta which is sort of like rice but is in reality pasta. I also like that it has black beans in it.
Spanish Style Chicken Noodle Soup
Stars of the Recipe:
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
3 celery ribs, chopped
2 medium-size carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons (about a palmful) chili powder
- 1 bay leaf, use fresh if available
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 quarts (6 cups) chicken stock
- 1 pound chicken tenders or chicken cutlets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes or 1 28-ounce diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn, frozen or fresh
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 pound orzo pasta
- Put all of the ingredients except for orzo pasta in the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- A half hour before serving, put the orzo pasta in the soup so that it can cook.