How can you take a salad from ho-hum to WOW? We are going to tackle this idea during this series. Here are the topics I’m going to discuss during this series:
Add Some Healthy Fat
Protein, Protein, Protein
How About Roasting Some Veggies?
Add Some Fruit
Cheese Lovers Unite
Seasonal Veggies and Eat the Rainbow
Salad Dressings Matter
Grains and Pasta
A word of caution: When you add multi toppings to the salad, you need to be careful you are not adding too many calories. Salads can be healthy but too many toppings can cause them to become “junk” foodish.
Add Some Healthy Fats
People are often scared of eating fat but there are some healthy fats that are good for you. Why?
- They will keep you full between meals.
- They give you a layer of protection which keeps your core temperature regulated.
- They help you digest certain vitamins.
So which types of fats should you add to your salad?
- Cheese – My favorite cheeses are feta and goat cheese.
- Eggs – Hard boiled or even a fried egg
- Fish – Such as salmon and tuna
- Nuts – Just make sure they are just nuts without all of the extra ingredients. Be sure not to add too many nuts because those calories will add up.
- Chia seeds – I love chia seeds.
- Extra virgin olive oil – Make your own vinaigrette using EVOO.
- Olives – One of my favorite ways to get healthy fats.
- Sunflower Seeds
- Tahini / Hummus – Another one of those ingredients that you can go overboard with so don’t use too much of it.