A couple of weeks ago, I found a recipe in Grandma Loy’s kitchen that intrigued me. The recipe was for pecan pie bars made with pretzels instead of pecans. I knew I wanted to make them but didn’t know when I would. So on the Sunday before Thanksgiving, at dinner, we were talking about Thanksgiving dinner. I offered to make the veggies, biscuits, and desserts. It was then I knew I would make those not pecan pie bars.
Everyone was impressed with the not pecan pie bars. It looked like real pecans were part of the topping, and it was not too salty. My sister-in-law, who is allergic to nuts, enjoyed them. Even my brother-in-law gave me a compliment on how good they were. I ended up sending the rest of the batch home with them.
You first need to make the Bar Cookie Crust
Stars of the Bar Cookie Crust
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine, cut up
Steps for making the Bar Cookie Crust
- Place flour, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press crumbs firmly into the bottom and 1/4 inch up the sides of a greased (I use my pan-release mixture from my local candy/cake supply store.) 9×13-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
While the Cookie Bar Crust is baking, make up the topping.
Stars of the recipe for the Not Pecan Pie Bars
- 1 Bar Cookie Crust
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 c. Karo, Light or Dark
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 T. butter or margarine, melted
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1 1/3 c. broken pretzel sticks (I put them in a bag and then smashed them with the smooth side of my meat tenderizer. Many frustrations were worked out.)
Steps for the Not Pecan Pie Bars:
- While the cookie bar crust is baking, beat eggs, Karo, sugar, butter or margarine, and vanilla in a large bowl. (I used my stand mixer.)
- Stir in pretzels.
- Pour over hot crust, spreading evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until filling is firm around the edges and slightly firm in the center.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars and enjoy!