I found a recipe for All Star Muffin Mix in Taste of Home’s Simple and Delicious Magazine. The recipe makes a dry mix that you can either store in your freezer or cupboard for up to six months. When you make up the mix, you can either make the mix without adding anything to it or you can add different ingredients. When I tried it without adding anything to it, it was delicious because the cinnamon and nutmeg are two of my favorite spices. Another time, I tried adding dried cranberries and pecan pieces. The result was pure deliciousness.
Today I will post the basic mix. After I try successful add-ins, I will post the recipes so that you can bake a bunch of different types of muffins using one mix.
All Star Muffin Mix
Stars of the recipe:
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of melted butter (1 stick) – When I did it, I melted it in the microwave for a minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
- Divide the mix into 2 and 3/4 cup portions.
To prepare muffins
- Place 2-3/4 cups muffin mix in a large bowl.
- Whisk the egg, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Bake at 400° for 18-21 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- Serve warm.
You can make a batch of the plain muffins and then flash freeze** them. When you are ready to eat a muffin, place it on a microwavable plate and warm it up at 40% power for a minute. If it is still not defrosted, continue warming it up at 30 second intervals.
**To flash freeze, put the muffins on a cookie sheet. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer until the muffins are frozen. Then place the muffins in a labeled gallon size freezer bag.
- Store in airtight containers in a cool dry place or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches (11 cups).
This recipe has been posted on Mommy’s Kitchen’s Potluck Sunday.