Original post: May 9, 2016
Updated: December 17, 2022
Vegetarian, Quick, Kid Friendly, Freezer friendly
This is my second time participating in the Secret Recipe Club. I got moved to Group B when Group D was disbanded. This month I was assigned to Why I Am Not Skinny. Maxine is originally from South Africa but is currently living in Brussels.
I looked in her recipe index and found several recipes I wanted to try. I finally decided on the 12-minute scones. I waited until yesterday to make the recipe. Life is currently crazy around here. Actually, work is a crazy part of my life. I administered tests during most of April, which sometimes left me exhausted. Then last week, I attended a field trip all five days to a place called Starbase. That experience left me absolutely exhausted at the end of the day. I had decided on two recipes but needed the energy to make one. Ask Hubby – I have not wanted to cook dinner when I get home at night, which is unusual for me.
Here are the other recipes I was interested in:
- Hummus – I almost made this recipe.
- Corn Fritters – We have a local sweet corn festival at the beginning of the school year. One of the vendors sells chicken dinners with corn fritters. Hubby loves corn fritters.
- Easy Fried Rice – This is another recipe Hubby would have enjoyed. The Wee One might have enjoyed it also since he is like his dad because he loves rice.
- Chicken Pot Pie – YUM!
- Sweet and Sour Chicken – I know I have a sweet and sour chicken recipe on I’m Hungry. This recipe is different than my recipe. Again Hubby would have enjoyed this recipe.
As I said, I settled on the 12-minute scones. I have several favorite coffee shops. One of them sells chocolate chunk scones that are a harder consistency. I love them. For a while, I’ve wanted to make my own scones but haven’t made them. The 12-minute scones were a lot softer than the ones I get at Boston Stoker, the coffee shop. I loved the texture.
Maxine’s recipe did not have any add-ins. I adapted the recipe to include Craisins and some cinnamon. Hubby decided to buy a huge bag of Craisins at Sam’s, so I’ve been using them whenever possible.
Cranberry 12-Minute Scones
adapted from Why I’m Not Skinny
Stars of the Recipe:
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 c. oil
- 1 egg
- Milk (depends on the egg size – I used about 1/2 c.)
- 1/4 c. dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the egg to the 1/4 c. of oil and top with milk until all the liquids equal 1 c.
- Beat together.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon. Stir.
- Pour the liquid ingredients on top of the dry ingredients. Add the dry cranberries. Stir until just combined.
- Drop by spoonfuls into a greased muffin tin. (You will make 6 scones.)
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven.
For more Secret Recipe Club blog posts, press this button.