Last week I didn’t share a recipe with you. I was still trying to figure out the new gluten free diet I’ve been on the last two weeks.
I thought eating gluten free would be harder. There are a few foods that I do miss like macaroni and cheese. So my mom suggested I make macaroni and cheese using cauliflower instead of the noodles.
So I made it for our Sunday night dinner. Six of us ate dinner that night. Of the six at the table, five of us tried the cauliflower “mac” and cheese. The Imaginative One refused to try it. The Wee One ate it with no complaints. He told me it was okay. The rest of us liked the flavor.
I’m going to make this recipe again because the taste is delicious!
Just know it’s not a low calorie recipe with the cheese and cream cheese in the sauce.
Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese
Stars of the recipe:
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 c. onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 c. milk
- 2 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets. Place in a large microwave bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Steam for 8 to 10 minutes until tender.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Add the olive oil, butter, and onions.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the milk and cheese.
- Stir until the cheese is fully melted.
- Pour the steamed cauliflower.
- Mix until fully combined.
- Boil for 3 to 5 minutes.