Years ago, I used to make gelatin poke cakes for different occasions. They were one of Hubby’s favorite desserts. Then I stopped making them for some reason.
Hubby’s birthday was last week. I decided to make a gelatin poke cake for his birthday cake. Wee One helped me make the cake. He also got to choose the flavor of the cake (funetti or yellow) and the flavor of the gelatin. Imaginative One also helped me ice the cake.
Hubby loved the cake. He told me the reason he loved it so much is because it a very moist cake. Hubby even took the remainder of the cake to work to share with his co-workers.
Gelatin Poke Cake
Stars of the recipe:
For the cake:
- 1 box of either yellow or funetti cake mix – plus the ingredients on the box
For the gelatin:
- 1 box of gelatin (any flavor)
- 1 c. boiling water
- 1/2 c. cold water
For the topping:
- 1 container of whipped topping (Cool Whip)
- Preheat the oven according to the cake box directions.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the cake box directions.
- Spray down a 9 by 13 pan. Pour the prepared cake mix into the 9 by 13 pan.
- Bake according to the cake box.
- Once the cake is baked, pull the cake out and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, make the gelatin. In a bowl, place the gelatin powder. Pour 1 c. of boiling water over the gelatin powder. Stir until dissolved. Add the 1/2 c. of cold water. Stir.
- Poke holes in the cake using a skewer or straw.
- Pour the gelatin over the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool for about an hour.
- Spread whipped topping over the cake. Decorate with sprinkles.
- Place in the fridge for 3 hours.