This dish transforms to a time and place long forgotten. A time now known as the “Good Old Days.”
It reminds me of the people who have long gone from my life but whose souls still watch over me as I continue on this journey called life.
As I am getting ready to spend the second Thanksgiving without Tanya, tears still roll down my face. I can picture her putting a scoop or two of White Salad on her plate. Her plate is full of delicious Thanksgiving dishes – macaroni and cheese, turkey, pickled eggs, and white salad.
Last year, I was not home on Thanksgiving. My family decided to take a trip down to Universal Studios and then onto Disney. My Thanksgiving began with me crying in the bathtub in our hotel room at the Cabana Bay Resort and then ended exploring the Walt Disney World Resort.
While we were exploring the resorts, I saw a monarch butterfly two different times. Two months later, I would request getting my first tattoo – a monarch butterfly. I felt Tanya’s spirit . She wanted me to know that she was celebrating Thanksgiving with me. That even though I cried for her, she has not left me. She is my guardian angel.
White Salad means so much more to me than a dish. It’s a dish that reminds me of my College Program and family. It will make an appearance at my holiday table for years to come even though Mom and I are the only ones who will eat the dish.
Grandma's White Salad (GF)
- 1 sm. package lemon or lime jello
- 2 c. hot water
- 1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese
- 1 (15 oz.) can of crushed pineapple drained (med. can)
- 1 & 2/3 c. mini marshmallows
- 1 & ½ c. chopped pecans or walnuts (My grandma used pecans.)
- 1 (8 oz.) container of Cool Whip
- Mix jello with water.
- Add cream cheese and beat until smooth.
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Carefully pour into a flat pan (9 by 13 dish).
- Put in the fridge for 2 to 4 hours or until solid.
I always use lime jello in my white salad so it’s more green than white.
What is a holiday dish that reminds you of holidays past?
Be thankful to spend time with family and friends. Tell them how much they mean to you. Life is precious.