I made these many years ago. This year I decided to make them once again.
Things you need to remember – When you wrap the cookie dough in plastic wrap, don’t use press and seal plastic wrap. That made it difficult to make a roll. The coconut will make a mess. Just keep the broom around. 🙂
Adapted from Cooking with Stolen Moments
Stars of the recipe:
- 1 c. butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. milk
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 3/4 c. maraschino cherries, diced, plus 1 tsp. juice from jar (I may have used more juice because I love maraschino cherries.)
- 1 c. coconut, unsweetened
- Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and milk. Beat until combined.
- Add flour, 1/2 c. at a time. Mix until incorporated.
- Fold in the cherries and juice. (I used my mixer. You can certainly use a spoon for this step.)
- Divide the dough in half. Form each half into a 8 or 9 inch log. Roll each half in coconut.
- Wrap in parchment paper or plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Slice in 1/4 inch cookies. Place on baking sheets.
- Bake for 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
I froze mine overnight and then pulled them out of the freezer for 15 or so minutes before slicing them.