I left this blog back in November. It had been a month and a half after my mom passed away. Since then, we’ve had quarantine and my mom’s estate is out of probate. Yeah!
Right before the quarantine, Hubby and I had decided to get new appliances. That was put on pause until stores were allowed to deliver the appliances. (No way we could have done it ourselves.)
Last week our new stove, microwave (or as I call it the spaceship), dishwasher, and fridge arrived which made this foodie happy. My mom would have been happy to see that we got new appliances with my inheritance. She and my aunt helped me refresh the kitchen a couple years ago and would have probably gotten me a new fridge then if I allowed her.
The old microwave was a safety hazard. The oven had no glass front because it fell off last summer. It was visually unappealing and became a safety issue when I was trying to get in and out of my baking cabinet. The dishwasher had problems and let’s not get us started on the fridge. Now the fridge is in the garage holding our pop, cheese, and butter. I can’t wait until I can start to work on my freezer kits for those extremely hot days of summer.
One of the first recipes I made on the stove was these Philly cheese steak sandwiches. During the time, we were waiting for the fridge to get cold enough to transfer food over I went to Trader Joe’s which is one of the trifectas of my favorite grocery stores. Trader Joe’s, Fresh Thyme, and Aldi are the trifecta. I might allow Wegman’s in the club if I lived less than 5 hours from one.
While at Trader Joe’s I saw the shaved beef which reminded me of the Steak Um’s that my grandpa adored. I decided to get some and make us Philly cheese steaks that night.
Oh, my goodness were these sandwiches delicious!
What you need for the recipe:
- Shaved beef
- Red, yellow, or orange bell pepper – Or be like me and use the frozen combo of all 3.
- Mushrooms – Didn’t add it them but would be delicious in the sandwich.
- Garlic cloves
- Worcestershire sauce
- Seasoning salt
- Shredded Provolone or cheddar cheese
- Sub buns
Philly Cheese Steak
Stars of the Recipe:
- 1 pound shaved beef
- 1 orange, yellow, or red pepper sliced into slices or 1/2 c. frozen pepper mix
- 1 medium onion cut into rings
- 1/2 c. mushrooms, washed and cut into slices
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. seasoning salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. to 1 c. shredded cheese – It depends on how cheesy you want your sandwich to be.
- Sub buns
- Warm up your pan with a Tbsp. of oil. Avocado, or Extra Virgin – It’s your business which one you decide to use.
- Add the beef in batches. Allow to cook for about five minutes. Flipping after about 3 minutes. Place cooked beef in a dish.
- Once the meat is cooked, add more oil to the pan. Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms if desired. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions start to caramelize.
- Add the pepper and cook for an addition five minutes or until they become soft.
- Add the cooked beef to the pan. Season with the seasoning salt, salt, and pepper. Add the Worcestershire sauce.
- Allow to simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Top with the shredded cheese and allow to melt.
- Serve on a sub bun with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, mayo, and more cheese if you desire. Or just eat it just as it came out of the pan. It’s your business which you do.