The Imaginative One is now in Boy Scouts and goes on hikes. One of the hiking trips requires him to carry all of his supplies and food for the weekend. Trail mix is one of the easiest items to carry. We make our own so we can customize it to his likes.
When I made this for his hiking trip in May, the Wee One ate the majority of the leftover trail mix. He opted to add dried cranberries to the trail mix.
The price of trail mixes can be crazy expensive. Buy the ingredients in bulk or when on sale to save some moola.
Get the M & M’s after major candy holidays to save some money.
Stars of the recipe:
- 1 c. of your favorite cereal
- 1 c. of your favorite nuts
- 1 c. cheese flavored crackers or pretzels (or both)
- 1 c. of dried fruit
- 1 c. M & M’s or chocolate chips, optional
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Store in an airtight container.
The ingredients we used in the trail mix from his May trip.
- Nature’s Path Leaping Lemur cereal for the cereal.
- Cashews and peanuts for the nuts (1 c. for each)
- Dried cranberries for the dried fruit
- M & M’s