Sometimes I crave the classic combo of grilled cheese and tomato soup. I really don’t like condensed tomato soup unless I doctor it up with basil. So when I craved it, I decided to try making a homemade version of the soup. It ended up being yummy!
This recipe came from Rachael Ray. As a novice cook, I watched her 30-minute meals A LOT. Hubby credits her with teaching me to cook. We had some really interesting meals during our first few years of marriage. Dry hamburger patties were the norm. Hubby got us cable, so I would watch the Food Network. Slowly the meals I was cooking became better.
When the Imaginative One was younger, he loved watching Rachael Ray with me. She was his first celebrity crush. In 2008, right before my grandma died, he and I met her when she came to a local bookstore. (I can’t find the picture.) She also signed a cookbook for him.
Creamy Tomato Soup
Adapted from Rachael Ray
(2 to 4 servings depending on how much soup you eat.)
Stars of the recipe:
- 1 – 15 oz. can think of chicken broth
- 1 – 14 oz. can of CRUSHED tomatoes
- 1 c. heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- Combine chicken broth and crushed tomatoes in a heavy bottom soup pot.
- Heat to boiling.
- Turn it down to low.
- Add cream, basil, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for 15 minutes on low.
- Remove the bay leaf with a spoon.
- Take off the heat and ladle into bowls.
This post has been linked to the following:
Treasure Box Tuesday