I’m all about easy veggie side dishes. We usually microwave the veggies for about 4 minutes, add a little bit of butter, and salt, and then microwave for another minute to melt the butter.
That method gets old though. So I came up with an easy skillet green bean recipe using onions and bacon. When my mother-in-law makes green beans for our Sunday dinner, she boils the bacon with the green beans. The Wee One wants to eat those bacon pieces. He can but they don’t have the best flavor or texture. When I made this skillet green bean recipe, he was able to eat the bacon with his green beans. Win-win!
Skillet Green Beans
Stars of the recipe:
- 3 to 4 slices of bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (16 oz) bag of frozen green beans (You don’t need to defrost the green beans.)
- 1 small onion or 1/2 large onion, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a medium skillet to medium high heat.
- Add the bacon. Cook until crisp.
- Remove the bacon to a paper towel lined bowl. Remove the bacon grease except for a tablespoon or 2. (Make sure it’s not a plastic container because otherwise it will melt.)
- Add the diced onion to the skillet. Cook for about three to four minutes or until translucent.
- Add the green beans. Cook until warmed through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the bacon back to the pan.
- Serve and enjoy!