We had tacos for supper. For a side dish, I made Spanish rice. The recipe I used was easy recipe to follow. It was also delicious. Which is a great combo!
My hubby was a little skeptical when he saw the rice. He typically loves rice but is not a big fan of the spices used in Mexican cooking. I told him I used a little less than what the recipe called for. Once he tried it, he told me that it was good. The Wee One also told me that he thought it was good.
adapted from www.menus4mom.com
Stars of the recipe:
- 3 Tbsp. EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 c. onion chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 c. green pepper, chopped and seeded
- 1 c. long grain rice (or brown rice)
- 2 c. chicken broth (if using brown rice, add extra water)
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin (I used less.)
- Saute onion, garlic, and green pepper in oil until transparent.
- Add rice and brown until lightly browned.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients and add to the pan.
- Cook and cover for 20-25 minutes (longer than 45 minutes for brown rice).
I did steps 1 and 2 in the skillet. Then I put the onion, garlic, green pepper, rice, and the rest of the ingredients in my rice cooker. I let my rice cooker finish the cooking.
Possible toppings: Sour cream and cheddar cheese – a Delicious combination