My husband has a cousin, J., who is a vegan. We went to his hand fasting (another new experience for us) a year and a half ago. The reception afterwards featured Indian food (another new experience for us) and vegan cupcakes. We were pleasantly surprised on how yummy they were.
J. and wife had their first baby in September. Since they live in Canada and we live in Ohio, we had not met baby S until last night. He is totally cute and very long for his age. J. is a tall man so it’s not too surprising.
Since we were going to meet up with J., wife, and baby S., I knew there was going to be Christmas goodies there. J. wouldn’t be able to enjoy the goodies so I decided to make him a batch of vegan brownies so he could enjoy some Christmas goodies.
These are very rich so a tall glass of water, milk, tea, or coffee is in order when you eat a piece!
Stars of the recipe:
- 1 1/3 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 c. cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 c. sugar (This may be reduced to 1 1/2 c. sugar or if you use Truvia baking mix, use 3/4 c.)
- 1 c. applesauce
- 1 banana mashed (I used my mashed potato masher.)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large size bowl, mix together the apple sauce, banana, and vanilla extract.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Warning: the batter is going to be thick.
- Pour into a greased 8 by 8 pan or 9 by 9 pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes and then check to see if the brownies are done baking. (Mine took longer when I checked.)
- Cool and then cut into pieces.
- Enjoy with milk, water, coffee, or hot tea.